Day 2 (25 May, Wednesday)
- What did you do today?
- Briefly describe your day’s activities
- We extracted artificial colourings from M&M chocolates and compared them to a standard coloured dye.
- Include at least one photograph from today
|Different coloured M&M candies|
|5 standard dyes (Compared with the dyes in the candies)|
|The dye with the solvent|
|Evaporation of solvent to obtain the dye|
|Thin layer chromatography|
- What did you learn today?
- Extracted dye may not consist of only 1 type of artificial colouring, but 2 or more.
- Discuss any learning points from today’s activities
- How do you feel about today’s activities?
- Today was an equally as fun day as yesterday. Although both projects have different applications, different apparatus used, the concept is similar, which is, extracting and examining substances.
- Describe how the project has affected your understanding of the discipline and how it may be applied elsewhere
- In the food industry, people have to identify the dyes present in the food product. A quick way to identify is Thin Layer Chromatography.
- Share your insights for the day
- The processes, extraction of the dyes, such as the preparation of the wool, extraction of the dye and doing the TLC itself.
- What new questions do you have regarding the discipline?