Day 1 (24 May, Tuesday)
- What did you do today?
- Briefly describe your day’s activities
- Extracting caffeine from tea.
- Include at least one photograph from today
Tea bags added to boiling water with Calcium Carbonate)
Mixture is filtrated into Büchner Flask Filtrate is poured into separating funnel, Dichloromethane is added Mixture collected is left to evaporate in the Rotovap, caffeine is collected.
- What did you learn today?
- Discuss any learning points from today’s activities
- I learnt how to use apparatus such as Büchner flask, separating funnel, and IR detector.
- Caffeine has positive impacts and negative impacts.
- Positive Impacts
- Wakes us up when we are tired
- Keeps us alert
- Negative Impacts (Mostly because of overdosage)
- Rapid beating of heart
- How do you feel about today’s activities?
- It was quite fun and interesting. The activity was truly an out-of-school experience and insightful.
- Describe how the project has affected your understanding of the discipline and how it may be applied elsewhere.
- It allows us to learn about how the food industry extracts certain substances from food items and examining them
- Share your insights for the day
- The process of extracting the caffeine using apparatus and materials we have never seen before.